Thursday, September 4, 2014

Happy September!

I'm really missing the cape right now. It is so so hot here, usually around 90, and even at night it's miserable. I miss being able to spend time outside and go for bike rides without feeling like I'm going to pass out! I'm trying to get exercise in other ways (dancing to Taylor Swift in the living room when Keegan is in class).

Although, sometime earlier this week it was a little cooler and I had a nice walk around the neighborhood


look at that spider web! There are massive spiders in the woods around here, I mean as big as my thumb.

the housing development across the stream! I like all the colors of the homes

I'm getting really excited about Thanksgiving because I think Keegan and I are going to take the train home. There's a train right in Charlottesville that goes to Providence!
I walk across these tracks to get home from work

the train passes right by Para! My co-workers think it's carrying coal, at least it doesn't smell as bad as the trash train at home

I've mainly been working a LOT this week, yesterday I worked 8-4 and today it's12-7.30. At least I am making tips now! I didn't find that out until yesterday when I was hunting for something in the staff closet and in the back of all the cups where employees tips are delivered there was a cup with my name on it and 50$ in it! whoo whoo! now I can go grocery shopping again, man keegan can eat everything in the house.

He let me trim his beard the other day, so now he looks less dirty
he was shocked at how much better it felt not having hairs stabbing him in the neck

We went to see Keegan's childhood friend's band play last night (going out on a Wednesday, how cool) - they are called the Sleepwalkers. I was surprised at how good they were. They usually play in Richmond which has a very "tight" music scene apparently. We went with another one of Keegan's friends, Landon, who is very friendly. I hate meeting new people though, small talk is exhausting. Luckily we only stayed to watch them play and I was asleep by 10.30!!

the band playing (no one danced, my mom would have been ashamed)

the restaurant where we saw them - they have a secret music hall in the back and serve grilled cheese all night

keegan's "going out" outfit: striped socks, cord shorts, plaid shirt.

now what have I been eating….
Food News!

I learned how to make nut milk! 
step one: get a cup of nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, whatever) and soak them for 20 minutes.
step two: when the nuts are done soaking pour them, the water, and a second cup of water into a blender.
step three: add three pitted dates for a little sweetness
step four: add three tablespoons of soy lecithin powder
step five: blend until there are only small chunks of nuts
then you put the mixture in what looks like a cheese cloth and put that in a giant funnel and basically milk the bag into a bottle. When you have gotten all the liquid out, throw the nut leftovers away and double the liquid by adding water!

blurry because I didn't want my manager seeing me take pictures


I tried making frozen yogurt the other day with greek yogurt, frozen strawberries, and chocolate chips in a blender. It was only OK but I ate it all because I was desperate for ice cream

a honey bear!

we have two specialty drinks at work: the Honey Bear, and the Not So White Russian.
I like the honey bear best because it tastes like a teddy graham. You put honey, cinnamon,and a pump of vanilla in a latte :))))
The White Russian is a latte made with cream and white chocolate, hazelnut, vanilla, and irish cream syrups - too rich for me but people love them.
Look at the amazing chalk art my co-worker did!

Speaking of work - there seem to be some changes on the horizon, mainly a dress code and rules about what we can and cannot do behind the counter when it is slow (eating, cell phone use).. there's a staff meeting Sunday I think, I'm dreading it. If I have to wear long pants because my Christian boss is afraid to see our legs than I am going to die of heat stroke.

dreaming of the beach!
xoxo







3 comments:

  1. A gorgeous day in WH.....If we could only have six more months of this......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sticky on the sandbar...Got the AC cranked.

    ReplyDelete