Thursday, September 11, 2014

While the banana bread bakes...

Hi all! I've been really into my books lately, so I have not been using my free time to write blog posts. Also, nothing really interesting has been happening and I worry about being boring. If anyone is looking for some fun, diverting things to read, here's what I have been into:

White Space by Ilsa J. Bick: This is about some teenagers who all crash in the same spot during a snow storm. And there is something in the dark that is attacking them one by one… dun dun duuuunnnn. As the story progresses they start to question whether they as people actually even exist. Very interesting, well written, a little confusing as sometimes a child is explaining things, but exciting over all!

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman: I loved this. Easy to read in one sitting, this short novel is about a man who returns home for a funeral and starts to remember things he had forgotten as a child. Neil Gaiman is so amazing and writes so beautifully, even if you don't like fantasy, I think that anyone could appreciate this story.

And now I am reading The Troupe by Robert Jackson Bennett (who wrote American Elsewhere) about this young man setting off to find his father, who runs a traveling vaudeville show, and discovers that they are all being chased by enemies who want to destroy the world. Sounds kind of stupid, is actually really interesting and fun.

My mom just sent me Orphan Train which I need to read by next Wednesday for book club!

Here's what I have been up to lately.

We went to the second to last Fridays After Five last week!

Keegan took some great photos of himself.

I got Spendora's Gelato (http://www.splendoras.com) which was voted the best ice cream of Charlottesville. At first I was not interested in going - gelato is NOT ice cream. However, I was persuaded (by myself) to get some because it was really hot out. It was amazing. I got stracciatella (cream with dark chocolate chips) and cinnamon, so delicious). 




We took a day trip to Richmond last weekend!
I had to force Keegan to leave the AC - it is insanely hot and muggy here - but I think it was good for us to go somewhere new and we both had fun over all.

We first went to the Virgin Museum of Fine Arts (http://vmfa.museum)

classic, there were a ton of people standing outside holding Confederate flags. It reminded me of how on Sundays people protest outside the post-office in Falmouth. There was one lonely guy holding a sign that said "this is not my flag"
A quick Google search just now taught me that this is an ongoing issue: http://rvanews.com/features/the-vmfas-confederate-flag-problem/52991



weird rabbit statue that is actually creepy

golden head wreaths from 3rd C. BC!!!!!!!!!!

admiring a mummy

Faberge egg!!!!!!

made of sea shells, amazing

missing Mount Holyoke

Then we went on the Canal Walk in Richmond, a series of walking and biking paths along the canal that highlight cool historical places and events. 

a train went right over us!

it seems like the city has hired local artists to beautify the old buildings, there were so many amazing murals

the architecture was pretty cool too

so hot on the ride back




Later Keegan saved a baby grasshopper that had gotten stuck in our apartment. I stood on the couch and directed the rescue. 
In Food News…..
We're getting pretty good at cooking!
Although, I did just take the banana bread out of the oven and it looks NOTHING like when my mom makes it so I think I must have missed a step somewhere.

pearl couscous with chicken sausage, carrots, craisins, and almonds

spinach lasange

carbonara 

keegan is getting good at stir fry

I bought myself dumplings after work yesterday as a treat because being nice to customers for 8 hours straight is exhausting

And then I came home and made chicken tortilla soup!

That's all I've got to say. Lizzie and Jonathan and visiting us this weekend, hopefully we'll go to the farmers market and the Pride Festival. And then I have a few friends from home visiting me next week! And the week after that is the State Fair!
xo




1 comment: