Thursday, September 25, 2014

It's raining, it's pouring...

It's finally fall! Now I can stop getting heat stroke every time I go outside, whoooo

I got a free book from the library the other day by taking a survey, Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield. It was very interesting, but very weird. It starts when the main character is a little boy and playing with his friends; while showing off his new slingshot he kills a rook. The first half the book he is really happy, and then disaster strikes, all seemingly stemming from his killing of the bird as a child. I would not have purchased the book, but as a free one it was pretty good!

Then I read The Queen of Dark Things by C. Robert Cargill, which I found on the New YA book shelf. I really liked this one! It was well written for a fantasy YA book. I have now ordered the first book (it's in a series), because the main character was really interesting. The book talked a lot about Aboriginal folk lore which was super cool and not something I had heard a lot about, makes me want to go and do some research into that now.

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton was an interesting, slightly thrilling book. Not fantasy per-say, but explores a little how humans attribute what happens in their lives to outside forces and are always looking for signs. The main character is a young woman from a small Dutch town who moves to Amsterdam to marry a rich merchant. The marriage is not at all what she expects and so she starts ordering doll house parts from a miniaturist in town. As secrets are revealed within her new family, the doll house eerily mirrors what is going on. Very cool, but I still hate dolls.

I started yesterday The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer which seems like a political, crime drama? I'll keep you posted. 


I've been working a lot this week so not much has happened since I last wrote. 

On Sunday morning Keegan and I explored a new trail that has opened up right down the road from us!

crosses the train tracks and we got to see a train! I suppose the novelty of trains will wear off soon, but not yet!

King of the forest



 I often get scheduled on the closing shifts at work because I am one of the only non-students, so I have the most flexibility. The other night when I got out the sky was sooo amazing.



And so then Keegan and I went to Crozet Pizza, right across the street from Para, for supper! Super delicious, we got a large margherita pizza, expecting to save some of it for lunch the next day but nope, we ate it all



On Tuesday we made chicken meatballs, they were okay, definitely need to meddle with the recipe. Probably the issue was that we only had half the ingredients it called for...

delicious cookie from work :))


I need to get ready for work now!!
xoxo

2 comments: