Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Goldfinch

I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tart. It took me almost 4 weeks exactly to  read- it's our November book club book. I am not sure how I feel about it, I have no sense of what the author intended for me to get out of the story. The novel stars with a young man in a drug daze freaking out in an Amsterdam hotel room (700 pages later you finally catch up with the intro). The book then goes back 10 years to when the boy, Theo and his mom and in a terrorist attack in a museam, she dies, and he pretty much accidentally steals an amazing piece of art- The Goldfich. The story follows his tossed around, neglected childhood afterwards, leading into a drug fueled adult life. Mainly I reall want to learn how to restore furniture now. Theo's life revolves around this question, "If your deepest self is singing and coaxing you straight toward the bonfire, is it better to turn away? ...Or... Is it better to throw yourself head first and laughing into the holy rage calling your name?" Page 761. Unclear if I recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. Read " Sharp Objects ". Gillian Flynn must one strange person. You'll see where " Gone Girl " came from though.....

    ReplyDelete