Sunday, December 21, 2014

It's the most wonderful tiiiime of the year!

Hey y'all I'm home! Keegan and I got in late Friday night, 11 and a half hours of driving, didn't hit a lot of traffic, ate a lot of snacks, not bad all around. 

I read two books last week:
Dreamer's Pool by Juliet Marillier is a YA book about a young woman who is thrown in prison (time period unknown, but they ride horses so... Medieval?) and gets offered a deal that she can escape if she spends the next 7 years helping anyone who asks for help instead of seeking revenge on the guy who got her thrown in jail. There's some royalty, some magic, some forests involved. The book was a nice diversion from worrying about Christmas presents or lack there of! 

I then read Trapeze by Simon Mawer which I loved and I reccomend to all. It's a fictionalized story of the real women in WWII who were sent undercover into Nazi occupied France to help with the Resistance.  I love reading and learning about the world wars, so this novel was right up my alley. 

Not a book but still awesome, Serial, a spin-off of The American Life by NPR, just ended. It's a podcast, so only online, but you can download them to your device or comp through iTunes or listen online at serialpodcast.org/
A reporter reexamines a 15 year old murder case of a teenager girl in Baltimore. Her ex-boyfriend is currently serving life. The story is compelling and exciting and really made me think about the criminal justice system in America. 

In other news, I crafted so much this week!

I painted a moon phases design onto the back of a over shirt I bought at Salvation Army last month:

First I cut out some templates and chose my colors of fabric paint. I used an old cereal box for the cardboard, draw a circle using a bowl, and then decided how many moon phases I wanted to do. Tulip is my favorite brand of fabric paint.




Then I sponge painted onto the shirt!

Finished product! I felt very clever with the "new moon".
Pretty cute right? I actually went and added some orange after it dried because it didn't show up as much as I wanted. 

I also went to a free Christmas craft making fair at the Charlottesville public library. 

I made these flower coasters! We took plain squares of cardboard, painted one side with mod podge- a water sealed paint thing- which we used to stick the pictures down. Then we did anther two coats on too to seal it up!

Other people did different designs: Cute and christmas-y

maps of Virginia:

Not pictured; we also filled glass ornaments with pretty paper and ribbon scraps and made paper bows out of old boom pages. Super fun!!


Missing these farmers market tacos already! Doesn't start up again until the spring, long wait.

Xoxo

1 comment: