Monday, December 1, 2014

rabbit rabbit, happy December!!

December already!?!?
I just posted yesterday BUT I also read a book yesterday that my dad is currently reading, Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I loved this book, I am fascinated by psychological thrillers, and I like being scared while reading but then as soon as I put the book down now being scared anymore because the story is so different than your life. The novel alternates every chapter following two threads: the murder of a mother and two daughters in the 1980s and the events leading up to their deaths, and then the story line in present day of the daughter who survived. The main character is unlikable but also I recognize a lot of her very real traits in myself and other people I live with. My favorite part of this book is the historical look at what was happening in the late 1900s, the decline of the farmer, the growth of big business, the Satanic cult worship hysteria, even thinking about therapy methods and how leading and harmful they were. I listened to an NPR interview with Flynn a while back and the interviewer said, "So…what HAPPENED to you?" and she laughed, saying she gets that question all the time, but that there was no trauma in her past, no dark secrets, she really enjoys looking at the physiologically twisted sides of life that often go ignored and unexamined. In her "thank yous" at the end of Dark Places she thanks her husband saying something like, "you know how my mind works and yet you still sleep next to me every night with the light off." haha!!

Well it is 71 degree here, I am wearing shorts, i hope everyone enjoys the last burst of warmth before the winter really sets in!
little abbs last year enjoying the snow

xoxo

1 comment: