Saturday, January 31, 2015

I'll take some coffee with my milk, please.

It has been SO SLOW at work lately, so I read two books the past few days.

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr came highly recommended by my father. It just recently came out, so I could only get it from the library from their "7 day only" loan shelf because all the other copies were out. This novel is set during the lead up and the final days of WWII. It follows two young people, a blind girl living in Paris and a German orphan boy. Each "chapter" is only a few pages or less and vacillates between their narratives. The writing and descriptions in this book is are so lovely even when writing about the atrocities of war. I very much enjoyed this book - highly recommended for everyone. 

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan is a fun one I picked up on the recommendation of someone in my book club. I liked that this book had a vaguely magical aspect without anything magical happening. The narrator is a young man who had recently graduated from college and promptly lost his job in the recession. He becomes a clerk at a 24 hour book store in San Francisco. Eventually he notices that some of his customers are acting curiously and taking out books entirely written in code and he sets out to discover what is happening. This was a very fast and interesting book! 

My dad asked me to post some pictures of the IX Building location that I have been working at lately: 
Click to keep reading!

View from behind the counter.

Tired Grace at 7.30 in the morning. 

Our nice counters!

Because the coffee bar is in an "open workspace" building, customers cannot use laptops. The IX space is a workplace for rent - lots of free-lance writers, start up entrepreneurs, and people organizing fundraisers or events. 

The sky as I left the other night! So beautiful, but I do regret that I spend all daylight hours inside at work.

I am constantly amazed at the pictures my camera can take! Look at those craters!!!



stay caffeinated y'all 
xoxo







1 comment: