Monday, January 26, 2015

looking up

Hello! It's rainy and gross here (but not cold like in Woods Hole where there is the possibility of anywhere from 2 - 22 inches of snow coming).

I read three books these past two weeks, but I'm only going to tell you about two because the one I read  last night/today was free on the kindle - I finally learned how to get ebooks! - and not worth talking about.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett took me about two weeks to read because it was almost 1,000 pages long. I was shocked that enjoyed it so much! Normally I am not into books that are so long and although I love love love historical fiction, the novel is about building a cathedral which sounded suspiciously boring to me. However, this really is Follett's masterpiece and I will never look at churches the same. Although the book revolves around the cathedral being built at the Kingsbridge Priory (England, early 1100s), the story jumps around and focuses on different characters who are all somehow involved: Prior Phillip, the master builder Tom and his family, Tom's step-son Jack, William and his allies who want to destroy the cathedral, the beautiful Aliena, etc. so you get architecture, fights and wars, a love story, revenge, curses. I hauled that book around with me everywhere I went, very worth it.


The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey focuses on a modern day police investigator who is laid up in the hospital. While there he begins an historical investigation into the disappearance of the two princes in the Tower of London, supposedly killed by Richard III. I won't spoil all the details but I am thoroughly convinced that Richard did not do it and I am very pleased because I always liked him and wished that he was less of a murderous jerk. Really clever book, lots of interesting historical facts and a very important reminder not to believe everything your history book (or history teacher!) tells you.

I've been very excited about taking photos of birds lately!

This little guy I saw while I was home over break. From my online research I think that he is a Cedar Waxwing.

click read more to see more birds!



Here's another shot, what a great tufted head.

Keegan got a camera for his birthday so we've been going on a lot of walks. The other day we saw:
a couple of American Robins,


and a whole lot of Turkey Vultures (gross) - there seem to be a ton of them around some days.

good bye vultch!

This little cutie is from California! He hung out every day in the same tree in my grandfather's back yard (hummingbird).

Last but not least I saw this chub Blue Jay this afternoon! What a little puff ball!

The best part about looking for birds is that it encourages me to look at the sky, rather than my feet, when I'm outside. 

I got these two snaps of the moon the past two day.


Remember to look up, both physically and emotionally! :)
xoxo


I used Google as well as this cool website to help me identify the birds I wasn't sure about: http://birdsnap.com


2 comments:

  1. I won't be getting out of here until April....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another foot expected Sun.-Mon. Totally bummed....

    ReplyDelete