Monday, June 15, 2015

Summer Weddings

I feel like summer is FLYING by, how is it halfway through June? I've moved into my grandfather's empty house with my best friend Katie, which is super fun, but we don't have wi-fi. That means I spend a lot more time outside (and doing laundry) but also means I am never online, so hello world!

….

some thought on love and the future…

Image by Vivian Maier



Two of my close friends have recently gotten married, one last August, and one just a few weeks ago. When in the world did I get old enough to have married friends?! What struck me with both weddings was how different they were from weddings I have attended in the past and how I want something totally different for my own (very very far off and hypothetical) marriage some day.

The two new trends I am seeing are 1) DIY and 2) strict guest lists. For both I spent considerable time making things for the event (crafts, foods, decorations) and in neither was I given a "plus one" -  my boyfriend was invited separately, and when he could not make it to either occasion, I had to go alone.

Obviously this is not a judgement on how anyone decides to host their weddings, but it is a vast departure from what was de rigueur even a few years ago. Has anyone else noticed any changing wedding trends? I know it must vary region to region and depend a lot on the age of the couple.

In any case, both were fun occasions to dress up, eat a lot of food, and dance!

There are a LOT of decisions to make for just the event itself (on top of all the stress of getting married)

*Would you splurge for a fancy wedding photographer? 

How about making some beautiful floral decorations yourself?

Wedding PIE instead of wedding cake?!

*What about a fake "send-off" for the camera crew? Do you come back after to keep partying at the reception or do you go home and pass out?


I want to spend as little as possible on my wedding - I'm talking my mom's wedding dress and a marriage certificate at town hall - and then throw a HUGE party on the front lawn of my grandfather's house where everyone can bring someone as long as they bring a side dish or bottle of wine. 
xoxoxoooooo





1 comment: