Sunday, August 24, 2014

It's only summer outside.

Rule #1 that I have learned about living in the south: always bring a sweater. It may be 95 degrees with  95% humidity, but inside all those restaurants and stores it feels like the Arctic circle.

Rule #2 there are huge bugs that will try to sneak into your home, avoid them at all costs.

giant cicada outside my door, luckily it had perished already

The apartment is coming together well! There are still some boxes around and not a lot of art on the walls, but probably by the end of this week it'll come together. Keegan starts school on Tuesday, so I am sure I will be doing all the work.

bedroom with lounging boyfriend
notice that there are two twin comforters on the queen bed so that we never have to share

we have a tiny patio where I can store my bike! 

In food news
Charlottesville has an awesome farmers market! It's pretty big, a lot like the Burlington one and at least three times bigger than the one in Amherst. It takes place at the downtown mall from 7-12 on Saturdays and then I hear there is another one on Wednesdays, I'll have to investigate. http://www.charlottesvillecitymarket.com

 maybe I'll expand my tastes and eat some eggplants


FRESH DONUTS! We got cinnamon, but they also had spiced, glazed, and chocolate. They make them right there in front of you.

cool little drum circle outside this coffee shop

Carter Mountain Orchard: http://www.cartermountainorchard.com
Right outside Charlottesville, by Monticello, is Carter Mountain. You can drive, or walk, all the way up the steep mountain and at the top there are acres of peaches, apples, and grapes! You can pay to pick your own or go into the store and buy some pre-picked. They also make their own wine. 



obviously had to have a second donut, apple cider this time




what else have I eaten….

Sultan Kebab
I won't tell you where this place is a) because I'm not sure I could find it again and b) because it's tiny and I don't want to share. I think this was my first foray into Turkish food and I love it! Lots of tabouli and yogurt sauce.
donner kebab, white bean salad, and tabouli 
when I was in France, they sell these sandwiches on the streets like fast food, this one was so amazing


Vita Nova: http://www.vitanovapizzapasta.com
Right in the downtown mall! It was raining pretty hard so we stopped into the first place that wasn't super crowded and we were not disappointed. You can order a pizza or just get a gigantic slice in one of their many flavors. I had a large piece of margarita pizza and then split a small pepperoni calzone with Keegan and his sister. deeeelicious

and finally Chaps Ice cream: http://www.chapsicecream.com
It's nice to find a homemade ice cream store here, but I still like Ben and Bills and Smitty's better overall. However, Chaps makes the best coffee ice cream that I have ever had because it has actual coffee grounds in it!!
that's coffee in the back center, yummmm

Keegan starts orientation and school things today so hopefully I'll have some insight into UVA soon!
xoxoxooooo love you all



3 comments:

  1. Saweeeeet. The donuts are amaze-balls! I'm super impressed with your transition so far and cannot wait to see what fun you get into. Please, please, please continue to update. You have made my Monday morning 100x better :) BTW what can you see from your balcony? Any interesting or crazy neighbors?
    Love from the left coast. Mwah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can see some trees from our balcony! Pretty boring but we get lovely afternoon light. I've only met one neighbor but he was nice. They're all very quite and don't seem to be around that often which is good for my light sleeping.
      I love you!

      Delete
  2. PEACHES !!!! How are the peaches ? I want.

    ReplyDelete