Wednesday, August 27, 2014

week one down

I'm sitting here in my pajamas even though I've been up for two hours because although it is 60 something degrees out right now, there's a high of 88 today… So stressful deciding how to layer accordingly. Also, I am waiting for this man to email me back about coming into a coffee shop to have an interview! I am really into this place, they have delicious coffee and awesome buns and cookies. It's call Para Coffee (http://www.paracoffee.com) and is right on the Corner across from UVA. It would be so great to get the job because there's a little bus from our apartment that drops me at UVA and I could just walk over.

and they have cute mugs!

Speaking of walking, I have done so much of it. This is in part because it's easier to know my way around once I've walked through, but mainly because both my GPS apps broke so I am afraid to drive. And I lost all my parallel parking skills because I always parked at the Woods Hole Library. 

And speaking of library's I got a library card! Whoo whoo!
I will unfortunetly have to remember to bring my card with me, unlike at home.

While at the library I signed up for a book club online. Their next meeting is on September 16th and they're reading The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. I ordered it from the library so hopefully I get it in time. I think it will be mainly older women, but that's okay! It'll be good to have some incentive to read real books because Keegan and I are slacking on that front:
please don't judge us

Right now he's reading I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max (he borrowed it from me) and I just finished White Girl Problems by Babe Walker. I do not suggest reading either of these books if you are easily disgusted. I am choosing to look at them as satire and a sideways commentary on the state of youth in America. Probably they're both just jerks, but I'm ignoring it. 

But now that I'm done with that dredge, I'm reading American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett! It's kind of scary but also awesome. It's definitely fantasy but not with wands and wizards. It takes place in a town that was created by the government to house their scientists working on a top secret meta-physics project (or something like that). I have to keep the bathroom and closet doors shut at night now.

In food news….
Because Keegan's mom left we haven't been eating out. I made a great supper the other night though!


chopping veggies

Keegan "helping"

finished product!

There's no real recipe to this. The base is mixed greens with some chopped basil mixed in, and then on top I put tomatoes, boiled chicken, cucumbers, quinoa, and some left over tabouli. There's also garlic, but because we don't have a garlic press I tried to chop it and it didn't work so well. Looks like I have to go back to target!

xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Someone else just highly recommended Orphan Train. I'm going to get it too. Maybe all your blog friends will also read it and we can compare thoughts! Love your blog!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, it has been a week!!! Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline?? There are a few similar titles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's the book -- you said it your blog -- duh me. The library has so many holds on it. I'll try to track it down another way.

    ReplyDelete