Friday, August 22, 2014

Way down south in the land of cotton...

Hello family (and friends, and strangers, mainly family)

I have lived in Virginia for two days! Keegan finally got the internet working, so, as many of you requested, I'm starting a blog so you can all see what's happening in my life.

The drive got off to a rocky start with some major miscommunication about departure time, but once we got on the road it was fine - no major traffic, only a few trucks tried to drive us off the road. We caravanned down with Keegan's mom which was good because I have a lot more stuff than I thought! She luckily had K's bike on top of her car so when he was driving 5 miles under the speed limit we could still see her way up the highway and follow.
packed car!

rainbow somewhere in West Virginia! The humidity down here is killed.

loving the drive

The apartment is nice! Small, two rooms and a bathroom, but hidden in the ground floor in the back, so nice and quiet. The furniture guys came and brought us tons of comfy things to lay on and watch netflix.

the community pool!

kitchen from living room area before move in

nice rug


I had a job interview today at MudHouse coffee which is downtown. Super swank, Coffee O could learn a thing or two. But honestly, I wish I was still working in Woods Hole because people here are SO INTENSE about coffee. First I had to tell a joke so luckily I had one on hand from Science School ("how many tickles does it take to make a octopus laugh?" ………" ten tickles…tentacles!). Then they asked me all these hard questions about what color I would categorize last year as and what my favorite book was. Then I discovered that IF I get called back for a second interview, then I enter a two week trial and training period, and IF I pass that, then I have to take a written exam and do a practical exam!! This is harder than mount holyoke, folks.

(http://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/fdT5Ta6wvps81SSi7V2aeA/ls.jpg)


But really, what we all want to know is what have I been eating (so you have confidence that when you visit I'll show you the best spots):

Zazu's- http://www.zazusfreshgrille.com
small little wrap and bowl shop out of the way, SO GOOD! I got thai chicken bowl which was rice, chicken, spinach, carrots, mint, and peanut sauce. And for only 6$! There are egg sandwiches (I haven't tried these yet) for 2.25$!!

The Nook - http://www.thenookcville.com
right in the downtown mall, kind of like an upscale diner. I got a great omelet for lunch with asiago, tomatoes, and sweet basil. We all shared sue blueberry pancakes for dessert. The food was pretty good but the best part was that I recognized our waitress from middle school, secretly looked her up on Facebook, and found out that she just moved here too! Emergency friend found.

Bodo's Bagels - http://www.bodosbagels.com
Honestly, all my money will be spent here and I will gain a million bagel pounds. The bagels are so cheap and you get them literally straight from the oven. They're .70$ each, 1.25$ with cream cheese. Later I got a caesar salad for 4.50$ and it was maybe one of the best I have ever had, really light creamy dressing. My only complaint is that they don't toast their bagels, so we're going to target ASAP, buying a dozen, and settling in.
Bodo's door handles are bagels!

I have no more news as my life is incredibly boring. Enjoying retirement though, the pool is lovely. I will update when I have news!

Love to you all xoxoxoxo

3 comments:

  1. Gracie, I am so impressed! In 24 hours, not only did you start that blog but you found an emergency friend AND yummy Thai food! And you have a swimming pool! And you're on the pro barista track! What color WAs last year? Sort of pumpkin, no? You're a true rock star. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told them blue and that this year was going to be green. When they asked me to explain I said that it was because I was moving from the ocean to the mountains…so deep and insightful.

      Delete